Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Nothing Like Pink Floyd

Trials are far more boring than I expected.  They weren't calling for them to tear down the wall or anything like that. 

But I got to see a couple of trials done the way they're always done in the real world.  The judge and the commanding presence that comes with him called the courtroom to order, one of the three cops sits down the delinquent, and the other two stand guard. 

Both cases involved violation of probation.  I know a lot of people on probation, too.  It sucks because they can't ever really party with me, but it's not that hard to not violate probation.  One of the men on trial was Lorenzo Rubio.  According to his probation agreement, Rubio is not allowed to drink alcohol or have weapons on him or in his house. 

When the police came to his house (as part of a gang bust operation, the police pick a few random people on probation as well as the listed gang suspects), Rubio smelled of alcohol and had a scuba knife in his house that he claims he uses for fishing. 

Now even if he just uses his knife for fishing, he should know that cops are going to be ass holes about things like that.  Police do not take kindly to people violating probation. 

I remember one of the hoes at work being carried out of the club because she violated probation.  I found her record on the sheriff's office website.  Her bond was $10,000 and she had previously been arrested several times for dealing drugs.  But a $10,000 bond over some stinkin' pills.  I know it's pills that ruin young girls' lives, but she ended up going to prison for a couple of years at least. 

With that in mind, I think how stupid is this Rubio guy?  It's not like the probation officers don't tell their crooks what's going to happen when they violate probation.  He shouldn't have taken his chances keeping a fishing knife in his house.  If I was on probation, you bet your ass I would not take any chances.  I bet he knew that having a knife in his home was risky. 

I didn't stay to see what the ruling was, but I don't really care either way.  I can see how he can be completely innocent and maybe it was just a silly fishing knife.  I mean, seriously?  Was he going to filet his wife?  Of course not.  But he shouldn't be so stupid to end up in court in the first place, so I really wish him the best of luck and all the intelligence in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment