Friday, October 22, 2010

APME Convention visit

Because of my what my job demands, I was able to catch the tail end of the convention.  At the convention, I got to see some really important people get awards and had lunch with a few of my classmates, my professor and Brian Boyer from the Chicago Tribune. 

The awards were so boring.  I walked in on the end of that and what I saw was just utterly boring acceptance speeches.  Randy Lovely, News Editor for The Arizona Republic, and Bill Church, Executive Editor for The Statesman Journal, received the Robert McGruder for Diversity Leadership award.  Good for them for practicing diversity in the newsroom. 

One more thing about the awards is there was a quote from McGruder (he's dead now) that said, "I am the messenger and the message of diversity.  I represent the African-Americans, Latinos, Arab-Americans, Asians, Native Americans, gays and lesbians, women and all the others we must see represented in our business offices, newsrooms and our newspapers if we truly want to meet the challenge of serving our communities."

The real fun was with my professor and Brian Boyer.  We got to eat lunch served by the convention (rather tasty salad however I could throw the chicken at the window and watch the window break because it was so hard) and we just talked about all the cool online resources used for news gathering. 

Boyer's main advice for making it in this industry is to find our niche.  Find out what we're good at and market that.  I think I knew that before, but his reinforcement of that statement just reminds me to keep being good at what I'm good at.

No comments:

Post a Comment