Thursday, September 23, 2010

Trip to the Orient Rd. Jail

"Getting in is easy, it's getting out that's the hard part."  -Lieutenant Allen

I actually took notes this time.  I'd like to just talk about my journey through the jail; it's a good enough story.

I got to see the booking area, the records office, the confinement rooms, the general rooms, the common area for inmates, the room with 29 screens showing every security camera view, and the long corridor with some passing inmates.

I actually stated those events backwards because the cops said they would give us a backwards tour.

The first thing I saw once we got into the locked area was a single file line of inmates wearing orange jumpsuits walking down the very open hall.  They were walking along the wall furthest from my group and this one inmate stood out to me.  He was staring at all of us, which I can't blame him, we're a bunch of attractive college students, but he was staring at us like a jackass.  I can't explain it any better, he just looked like a total fool.  The expression on his face was like "ooh who are these people?"  And I wasn't even thinking when I blurted out "the hell you lookin' at, inmate?"  I don't think I said it loud enough for him to hear, but I know I wasn't the only one in my group who wanted to see an inmate do something stupid.  We all wanna see some action happen.  We're journalists.

The first room we got to see was the security camera room.  There were tons of montiors, as I said, 29 screens.  Some of them were showing multiple camera views, just a second from one camera, then it would flash to another camera view.  Real neat stuff.  There were big maps of the jail of each floor on the walls.

Allen told us that 70,000 people get booked in the Orient Road Jail per year.  He said that the average amount of time spent in jail is 28 days, but since the judge started hearing cases within 7 days of an inmate's time in jail, the average lowered to 22 days.

Even though inmates are people who committed crimes, they're still people.  Allen talked about in case of a hurricane, the inmates would be moved to the upper floors of the jail.  With the jail being only 14 feet above sea level, I'm sure one could imagine that place flooding pretty easily.  The jail stays stocked with 3 days of food and water at all times.

We then went to the inmate common area where inmates can watch TV, play cards, twiddle their thumbs, etc.  It's basically where the inmates get come out of their cells and play.  Needless to say, there wasn't much else because if there was any more, people would be like "what's so bad about jail if they have all these things to pass time?"

When the inmates are bad, they go into solitary confinement; the cell for those who don't get along with others.  That place looks terrible.  The inmates in solitary confinement spend 22 hours of the day there.  This is where people go crazy if they aren't already.  The cops had stories of people mutilating themselves in all kinds of disgusting ways that I really don't wish to share (but I will anyway).  One of the cops told us that one guy asphyixiated himself by shoving his bed sheet down his throat.  Another story was about how a man took out one of his family jewels (with his own hands), another about this woman who doesn't bathe, ugh.  I'm already cringing as I type this.

We next visited the inmate courthouse.  I was wondering how the inmates made it down to the courthouse downtown but the one in the jail has two big cameras that feed the footage of the criminal trials to journalists.  It makes it easier so reporters from 7 different stations aren't all trying to film the same trial.  But the inmate courthouse is basically an assembly line trial because as Allen said, there are 70,000 bookings per year.  If the judge worked every single day of the year, he would hear more than 190 cases per day.  And the judge is also a regular human being and has weekends and vacations, so he really sees more than that.

The booking office is where there were no barriers between my class and I and the inmates.  These inmates were looking at us like we were literally dinner.  Pieces of meat.  Some of the girls in my class (including me) were not exactly dressed for the jail.  Many girls were wearing shorts, I think another girl had a dress on, but yeah, a couple of them got some rude remarks from the inmates sitting in the booking office.  So we made a beeline away from them to explore the different aspects of the booking room.  There was the intake section, I guess the first checkpoint for the inmate, then there were the medical, fingerprinting, classification, and property sections.  The medical section is where the inmates medical records are handled in case an inmate is diabetic or needs special care.  The fingerprinting section, well, obviously that's where the inmates get to put some ink on their hands and touch things.  Probably the only place in jail where they can do that.  Classification is basically where the jail staff declares the inmate's case as a high-profile or not. Property is where they take away all the inmate's stuff: clothes, jewelry, possessions, everything.  They strip you down and give it back when the inmate gets out (except the illegal stuff).

Then the public records office, the only place where we learned something we probably would have heard in class.  Verlin Compton (not sure if that's how it's spelled, can't find her information on the internet anywhere) told us what parts of an inmate record is not public record.  She listed off social security numbers, juvenile information, medical records, high profile inmate records, and witness and victim information.

When I left the jail, I had a new nickname: Helmet.  I tried to carpool it there but I didn't try hard enough so I ended up having to take my motorcycle and I had to let the jail's front office staff hang on to my helmet and backpack since we couldn't bring anything into the area inmates have access to.  I wish I could've left my shit in the car.  I don't like being called Helmet. 

25 comments:

  1. I liked the blog. I thought it might have been a little too long however, you covered everything which was informative. I enjoyed the paragraph about seeing the inmate. Good Job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were not kidding when you said you took notes! I enjoyed reading your blog. You presented a lot of information, yet managed to keep my attention with you casual, narrative writing style.

    Jenna Withrow

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this blog. You listed a lot of facts along with a great personal narrative about your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great detail, I wish I took notes because I feel like I'm noticing some of these things for the first time after reading your blog. A long read, but very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very informative blog. You took what you learned and put it into writing. At first glance it looked like a lot, but it kept my interest and refreshed my memory. And the last paragraph made me giggle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. First, I like your style here — funny and conversational. I'm glad you took notes, because I felt like I just "re-lived" our tour.

    - Kelli Morgan Polson

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a great job of including details, but I think the blog was too long. I enjoyed reading it but I think you should try and cut it back a bit to keep the reader engaged. I love this "The booking office is where there were no barriers between my class and I and the inmates. These inmates were looking at us like we were literally dinner." Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very thorough recap of the jail visit! Personally, I didn't want to see an inmate do something stupid, but we got that chance anyway when that woman barked. Definitely a first-hand view of life on the inside!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Helmet!!!! Hahaha.. I don't think you said anything when you saw the inmates in a single file line. The reason why was because I was the first or second to walk in and I could hear a pin drop it was so silent so something like "the hell you lookin at", would have stood out and I would have laughed my ass off; but I don't doubt that you whispered it under your breathe because I was thinking the same exact thing. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well if anyone didn't get the chance to go, this blog recapped just about everything that we saw and that was said. It was very conversational and had humor through out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I missed the jail visit so I just wanted to thank you for this info-packed blog. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great recap on the visit. Love how you incorporated humor into your blog. Held my attention and made me laugh. Love it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Caitlin Williams--

    I love how you admitted you wanted to see something happen with the inmates because you're a journalist. It was nice how you mentioned that the inmates are still people and reminded the reader that they're still innocent at the jail and also referenced the hurricane situation. It was hilarious that you mentioned not wanting to share the solitary stories but then did so anyway. you have a very blunt and to the point writing style that i think many can appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will never address you as helmet! Very detailed blog felt like I was there seeing everything again

    ReplyDelete
  15. I liked that you pointed out the very human factor of the jail. Yes, many of them are criminals, but even hurricanes have severe impacts on the jail. They still need to evacuate like the rest of us. Many seem to forget that they are still people like you and me, even though they wear orange jumpsuits.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You weren't kidding when you said you took notes. You were very direct and very detailed! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The narrative style and rich details make reading your blog an experience. For anyone reading who was not there, I'm sure they just took the tour in their mind. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really liked your blog. I thought you did a great job of including so much information with bogging it down. It was lengthy but you managed to keep it interesting. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very conversational and very you. I like how you gave a run through of the visit without bogging it down with logistics and jargon. It allowed the reader to create visuals in their mind as if they were there.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very descriptive. The notes definitely came in handy when you wrote this blog. I like how you broke everything down and included details. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, Carol, this post definitely reflected your conversational voice. Your personality really shined. It was really informative, yet interesting. Good job, Helmet!! Okay, okay! I'm sorry, Carol!;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Haha very enjoyable to read Carol! I had two favorite parts of this blog. One being the beginning quote from Lt. Allen. I believe it set the tone of the blog and more importantly, set the tone for the trip. My other favorite part was when you shared your experience with the employees at the front with your new nickname, "Helmet" and that you wished you could have "left your shit in the car." God, I love sarcasm...and cursing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! Talk about great note taking! A lot of information, shows you were really interested in the Jail visit. Touched upon everything I remembered and more. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Helmet!!! You have a very straight forward way of writing, but your blog was informative and I can tell you were paying attention. Good work

    ReplyDelete
  25. You never know what you're gonna find at a jail. Case in point, barking women. I couldn't have expected having the pleasure of experiencing one of these wonderful people under any circumstance. It sure did provide some entertainment. I do remember thinking it was probably best for all the ladies in the class to stay in the middle of the pack. Who knows, maybe one of the inmates decided it was time to get some and came after one of our attractive classmates. Good thing we only had to deal with bitches (female dogs, of course).

    ReplyDelete